Cardamom Spiced Apple Cake with
(Original recipe adapted from Drizzle Kitchen)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly brush the inside of a bundt pan with oil and sprinkle with Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour, shake to coat and tap out the excess. Set aside.
- Place the 1/2 cup oats on a tray and bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden. Cool a few minutes. Add to the bowl of a food processor along with the 2 tbs maple syrup, 1 tbs melted coconut oil and 2 tbs hemp seeds. Pulse a few times in a food processor to chop. Sprinkle into the bottom of the bundt pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the 2 cup Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to blend. Stir in the diced apples.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, flax egg, 2 eggs, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg-oil mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until blended. Pour evenly over the oat crunch in the bundt pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turn pan and bake another 20-25 until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cake is cooled whisk together all the ingredients for the glaze, set aside.
- Make the candied oats by preheating a small nonstick pan with the 1 tsp coconut oil. Stir oats and shake pan until they are golden brown. Then sprinkle the cinnamon and cane sugar evenly over the oats, constantly stirring over low heat until the sugar has melted and coated the oats. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and it smells a little like caramel. Pour onto wax or parchment paper and let cool until crispy, about 7-8 minutes.
- When ready to glaze and top, drizzle the glaze over the cake and sprinkle the candied oats over the top using the glaze like glue to adhere. Serve and enjoy!
SERVES 10 - 12
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
1/3 cup gluten free oats
2 tbs maple syrup
1 tbs coconut oil, melted*
2 tbs hemp seeds
2 cup Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 apples, finely diced
1 cup cane sugar
1 flax egg (1 T. flax meal + 3 T. hot water)
2/3 cup melted coconut oil*
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tbs favorite dairy free milk
Candied Cinnamon Oats
1/2 cup gluten free oats
1 tsp coconut oil*
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs cane sugar
*to make nut free substitute safflower oil or melted butter for the coconut oil
*to make egg free simply make two additional flax eggs to replace the 2 eggs